Test #8 - Application Server Abends
This demonstrates overall system behavior when the application server abends. Here, we simulate server abend by manually terminating the application server process while it is actively processing events from the active mediation server. After approximately two minutes we restart the application server.
• The standby server discards any events that it's received up until the time when the application server process is terminated.
• The active server successfully delivers any events it's received up until the time when the application server process is terminated.
• After the process is terminated the active mediation server should continue to try and deliver its current batch, spooling all other events that it receives.
• After the application server process ends, the standby server should spool all events that it receives since it cannot discard events that the active server has not yet delivered.
• After the application server restarts, the active server resumes forwarding events to the application server, and the standby server resumes dropping events.
The total number of events delivered to the application server is 30,000, and the standby server drops all 30,000, less the number of events queued. Because the active server does not receive any events after the 30,000, the standby server should still have a batch queued which has not yet been dropped.
Actual Results: SUCCESS
• Active Server - The active server delivered 1800 events before the appserver process ended. Once the batch filled, it began queuing events, eventually reaching 2182 batched, and 16317 queued, with one about to be added to the batch. The total number of events accounted for is 30000. Once the application server restarted, the server resumed delivering events, and at the end of the test, all 30000 events had been delivered.
• Standby Server - The standby server dropped 1600 events before the application server process ended. The batch eventually contained 2700 events, and the queue contained 14899, with one event about to be added to the batch. The total number of events accounted for is 30000. Once the application server restarted, the server resumed discarding events, and the conclusion of the test, the standby server had discarded 29500 events, with 500 remaining in batch.